Google

Friday, September 28, 2007

Paediatric Rotation

Emergency Medicine is one of the fields that exposes you to patients at the extremes of the age spectrum and at everything in between. So a rotation in Paediatric Medicine in somewhat essential and it's something I need to do next. Funny thing is when the nursing staff asked me what I was going to do for the next 6 months and I told them I was trying to get a paediatric rotation, they all gave me this funny look. Granted, I did say kids are nothing more than expensive hobbies and generally find them irrelevant unless they can be taught to do tricks, it does not mean I cannot function well as a paediatric doctor. Take for example, if you brought me your expensive car, your precious little hobby, and asked me to look after it as a favour, I would. Not only will I treat it right, I'll also make sure it gets a nice shine on it every sunday morning. So if you brought your little bundle of joy to be seen by me, I will without a doubt, treat it like your little bundle of joy and send it home beaming!

Why am I not a natural with kids? I suspect a few things along my medical career has bruised me irrepairably. Rewind the clock back seven years and you'll find me in Katete, Zambia as a medical student running the Paediatric Malaria ward. I am proud to say I didn't lose a single sprog in the 6 weeks I was there. However, one thing that puzzled me was everytime I approached a baby in the ward, they'd start crying before I even touched them. One day, I enquired why that way the case, the mother answered and the male nurse dutifully translated that it was because I was ugly. That can't be good for anyones self esteem.

Granted, I don't look anything like Zambians. Put a Malaysians smack in the middle of Zambia they all start calling you Japanese because you have this thick trendy glasses and a goatee. Hang on, did she think Japanese people were ugly?! So it's not me really!

Anyways, I've mellowed down over the years and have learnt to deal with kids a lot better. I got a Basset Hound called Odie a few months back and I've learnt a lot from him. Oh wait, I can hear Odie barking. That means he's hungry and it's time to feed him! See, I might be on my way to be the best Paediatric SHO this side of town yet!

No comments:

Google