Google

Monday, September 24, 2007

It's broken and I'm not sorry

Lately, (for the last 7 years actually!) I've been considering a career change. Everytime I tell myself I should just quit medicine and do something else, I've always found a reason to stick with it and I just can't make up my mind on the whole issue. Hence I've been at it for 7 years. Half dreading going to work everyday and then coming home buzzing from the things I've done at work! Besides, the band I'm managing hasn't made it big yet! So I can keep on dreaming!

One thing I do enjoy about medicine is diagnosing bone fractures and telling the patients about it! The doctor's done good ya!? The dramatic ones love it and get a kick out of it. In fact, in some cases those patients are almost disappointed if they didn't have a broken bone! You almost have to remind them, "Hey stupid, no fracture, that's a good thing, okaaaaaay?!"

As an Emergency Physician, I get my kicks from positive signs, especially the rare and cool ones! Like my first rectal foreign body case! I've been in A&E for 3 years before I got my first one and they don't come too regularly in this part of town. It was a definite milestone. It was the x-ray of the day and it reminded people who saw it what not to do with a can of foot spray.

My girlfriend thinks I like it for the glory! Well, some days yes! and that's really just amongst the medical staff! Someday there's no glory, just lots of shit raining down on you. Those kind of days really make you wonder why you're still waddling in the poo, when it's just the same shit, different day.

I can drone on about the negatives like the work hours, the stress, some of the crazy/lazy/waste of space consultants you have to work for, the crappy basic salary, the days when you just feel it's like the most thankless job ever but you have to tune in to"Physician's Lamentations" next week for that. j/k Anyways, all the negatives have so far failed to help me make up my mind. It's probably because I still enjoy what I do and because I'm pretty good at it too! My girlfriend thinks I should give it 10 more years. I've already done 6 years of medical school and 5 years of work, so what's another 10?

1 comment:

Peter @ Enviroman said...

Hi Wak This Way,

Many will sacrifice all they can to become a doctor like you, and you want to give it up? Hope you rethink and listen to your wise girlfriend.

Actually, not here to give advice but to thank you for leaving a nice comment in my post My first grandchild at his grandfather's 58th birthday.

Peter a.k.a. enviroman
Enviroman Says
(floods in England, polar ice and ice caps at moutain peaks melting, I think more severe and frequent hurricanes in US, rain when it is supposed to be a dry season in my country, someone from Queensland recently contacted me if I noticed the weather changing. I replied when I was young I had to sleep under the blanket, but now I sleep topless. If I remembered, he said it is freezing in tropical Queensland and now he has to sleep under a blanket. Please folks, take good care of our one and only Spaceship Earth which have no lifeboat. It may not affect us severely now, but it has every chance of severely affecting our future generations. Then they will have lots to be "thankful to us)

Google