Google

Sunday, October 28, 2007

I'll Kill Him

Hey there, it's one of those days at work again. 12 hours of mayhem. It didn't help that I had a cold brewing inside me. Anyways, I treated an infant today who was brought in by his mum. The kid had fallen off his buggy and mum wanted to be sure he was ok. So here I was examining the kid, building rapport with mum and child. Big grinning face on the kid and I decided I would press on the lump on his forehead just to see if it's boggy. Sure enough the kid started crying.

Mum smiled and tried to console the kid, knowing I was merely examining the kid. But she said something that really startled me.

"It's ok, it's ok. Oh poor boy. I'll kill him, I'll kill him".

I paused for a second.

I know she was not being malicious but the expression was a little disturbing. I've heard the term used when somebody's pissed off with somebody but there was no sign of anger here and it was totally out of context. Granted she came from a rough part of the city but surely that can't be part of their daily vernacular, not especially when talking to a 1 year old.

Another patient I saw jumped off 40 feet as part of a suicide attempt. With the exception of a couple of broken bones in his spine and a couple of busted ankles, he was relatively ok. The funny thing is this was his fourth attempt at suicide. Maybe it wasn't meant to be. Maybe it high time he gives up and embrace life!

Anyway, time to get some sleep. Long day tomorrow!

Good night!

No comments:

Google